Lower School Programs - Fall 2018
We are excited to offer the following programs for students in our Lower School:
- Afterschool activities, intramurals, and library
- Aftercare, providing supervision and activities until 6:00 p.m.
Several new classes have been added: Cubelets (STEAM program), Enchanted Adventures, Robotics and Coding, Fashion Trends, and Crazy Chemworks. In addition, many of last year’s biggest hits return.
This year’s program sessions will run as follows:
- Fall Session: Tuesday, September 4 through Thursday, December 20, 2018
- Winter Session: Wednesday, January 2 through Wednesday, April 17, 2019
- Spring Session: Monday, April 29 through Tuesday, June 18, 2019
For specific fall afterschool dates, please click here.
Our easy registration system will allow you, in one online form, to register your child/ren for some or all of the elective Lower School programs and to sign up as a lunch volunteer with just a few clicks. Detailed information can be found below.
Families are expected to communicate all dismissal information electronically no later than 1:00 p.m. on the day of the change. Please submit your requests reflecting standing notes and/or daily dismissal changes either:
- By email to LSdismissal@schechterwestchester.org, or
- Through the web-based form. Tip: you will also find the "LS Dismissal Notes" form on the SW website in the "QuickLinks" drop-down menu located at the upper right corner of the home page.
Registration for the fall session will open on Monday, June 4 at 10:00 a.m. Please note: in order to assure that the programs are in place at the start of the fall session, registration will close on Sunday, June 17 at 11:00 p.m. After this time, the online form will no longer be available for registration.
Questions regarding afterschool and aftercare programs should be directed to Diane Coppola at 914-948-3111, ext. 4318. Questions about the lunch program should be directed to Sue McVeigh at ext. 4400.
It is our goal to provide a healthy program that includes a wide selection of foods including salads, soups, fruit smoothies, and hot main dishes.
The fall menu will be provided in the second week of August. After the session has started, no changes to days selected will be approved. There will be no refunds for any reason, including student absences, school closings, snow days, etc.
Each day will feature an assortment of kid-friendly, healthy choices for our students organized around the day's theme:
- Monday: Pasta
- Tuesday: Breakfast for Lunch
- Wednesday: Food Detective
- Thursday: Cheese Feast
- Friday: Pizza
The fall menu will be provided in the second week of August.
The success of the Lower School lunch program relies heavily on volunteers. The school’s catering company provides chefs who are responsible for food preparation. For the past 15 years, the school has partnered with the parent body to maintain an affordable lunch program by utilizing parent volunteers as servers. Volunteers are needed from 11:50 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. They serve lunch alongside the kitchen staff and will, on occasion, help prepare some of the food.
We have three hot food stations, a soup station, a salad bar, and a sandwich and fruit station. In order to give the students enough time to get their food, sit down, and enjoy their meal, we need the support of at least six volunteers per day.
We ask that all parents consider signing up to support the program as a volunteer, whether once a week, once a month, or another frequency that works for your schedule. If your child is registered for lunch, please sign up as a volunteer to serve at least two or three lunch periods each session. Grandparents, caregivers, family members, and family friends are also welcome to help. Even if your child is not registered for the school lunch program, you are welcome to volunteer; it will give you the opportunity to see your child during lunch!
Click here to sign up to volunteer on different days throughout the fall session.
Our afterschool program is part of a larger effort to extend the Schechter Westchester experience beyond the school day, and the lineup of afterschool classes is full of fun and innovative offerings. Several new classes have been added and many of last year’s biggest hits return, including the aftercare program.
Review the offerings, make your choices, and plan to register when online registration opens at 10:00 a.m. on Monday, June 4. Note that online registration will close at 11:00 p.m. on Sunday, June 17. All classes have minimum and maximum size constraints in order to keep them financially viable. Classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis, and many fill on the first day of registration. We will let you know if a class is canceled due to under-enrollment.
Course descriptions are available in Session Details.
|Day of Week ||Offering||K || 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 |
|Kids Cookery: Autumn Harvest|
| Ticket to Ride! Lego Robotics|
|Your Artistic Self!|
|TGA -Junior Tennis|
|Cubelets! STEAM Program|
|Drone Pilots Course|
|Dynamo Girl - Sports for Girls!|
|Fitness Fundamentals, Sports Games, & Drills|
|Karate - Beginners|
|Wednesday||Airplane Builders! Model Airplanes|
|Craft Your Art Out!|
|Sports Games and Drills|
|Thursday||Express Yourself! World of Arts & Crafts|
|Fashion Trends: A Hand-Sewing Class|
|Fitness Fundamentals, Sports Games, & Drills|
|Karate! Advanced Class|
|Robotics and Coding|
|Whiz Kids - Science Exploratorium|
- Please remind your child on mornings that s/he is to attend an afterschool activity. Be sure to send dismissal instructions, as needed, to the school as noted below.
- Afterschool enrichment, intramural classes, and aftercare will not be held whenever school is closed, or if early dismissal should occur for any reason.
- Children participating in afterschool programs will receive a snack before their activity begins.
The Irene Schwebel Library/Media Center will be open after school Monday through Thursday until 4:40 p.m. Two teachers will provide student supervision. We are pleased to offer the Library as a free option. It can be a valuable resource for:
- Parents who need an extended day for their children
- Students who benefit from assistance with general and/or Judaic studies
- Completing homework at school
- Children to socialize with friends or work on team projects
If you would like your child to go to the Library after school on an “occasional” or “as-needed” basis, you must send a note or notify the office in the morning on the day you need this service. Please indicate the proper dismissal instructions and state the name of the person picking up your child in your note.
If you would like your child to go to the Library on a regular basis (i.e., same day of the week, every week), please send a note at the start of the session and include dismissal instructions. Be sure to include the start and end dates of this plan.
Please submit your requests reflecting standing notes either:
- By email to LSdismissal@schechterwestchester.org, or
- Through this web-based form. Tip: you will also find this form on the SW website in the "QuickLinks" drop-down menu located at the upper right corner of the home page.
Students are expected to sign in as they enter the Library and must stay in the Library until they are picked up or take the White Plains late bus. All parents picking up students from the Library between 3:40 and 4:25 p.m. should go directly to the Library and sign out their child(ren). A pass will be issued for you by the Library teacher to provide to the security guard at the booth. Parents picking up after this time must remain in their cars and join the regular afterschool dismissal process.
We offer an aftercare program on Monday through Thursdays from 4:45 until 6:00 p.m. with supervision provided by Lower School teachers. The fall aftercare program runs from September 4 through December 20, 2018 and in coordination with the other voluntary Lower School programs - hot lunch and afterschool program. Parents can register their children to participate one or more days per week for the fall or can have their children attend on an ad-hoc basis. To participate on an ad-hoc basis, email Diane Coppola no later than 1:00 p.m. with your request.
The program will include:
- Supervised homework time
- Supervised outdoor play (weather permitting)
- Quiet games and crafts
A security guard will be on site until 6:00 p.m. A school cell phone number will be provided in the confirmation e-mail to reach the teachers after the switchboard closes at 5:00 p.m.
Please remember to pick up your child no later than 6:00 p.m. The charge $20 per student per day.
- Please remind your child on mornings that s/he is to attend an afterschool activity.
- Be sure to send dismissal instructions no later than 1:00 p.m. on the day of the change. Please submit your requests reflecting standing notes and/or daily dismissal changes either:
- Children participating in afterschool programs will receive a snack before their activity.
By submitting the afterschool enrollment form, you agree that the full program amount will be charged to your student account and deducted by FACTS in full from your bank account on September 21, 2018. The FACTS system will send you an email reminder 5 days before the payment is withdrawn from your account. The payment will be a single deduction and will not be spread over multiple months.
- Cancellations after the registration deadline will not be refundable.
- If school is closed or dismissed early for any reason, there will be no afterschool or aftercare programs, and there will be no refunds or make-ups for lunch, afterschool, or aftercare.
The White Plains School District provides a late bus for its students who are residents of White Plains and are located within the White Plains school district. The White Plains late bus will leave school at approximately 4:50 p.m. each day.
The White Plains Transportation Department requires advance notice to use the late bus. If your child is eligible and you would like your child to take the White Plains late bus home after using the Library or participating in an afterschool activity, you must register by Sunday, June 17. It is necessary to register even if your child rode the late bus during a previous session.
Afterschool program pickup begins at 4:40 p.m. Parents will be directed by the guard to line up in their cars along the Dr. Spiegel Pathway. As the line starts moving, a teacher will approach your car and ask which child(ren) you will be picking up. Please stay in your car in the pickup line and your child will be brought to you.
If you plan to have someone else pick up your child, a note to that effect must be sent to the main office on that day. Only people whose names are listed will be able to pick up your child. Please see Communication of Changes to Student Dismissal (below).
Early or Late Pickups
If you need to pick up your child during an afterschool class, you must first get a pass from the Main Office. If there is an emergency and you will be late, please call the office by 4:30 p.m. to let us know when you will be arriving.
All parents picking up students from the Library between 3:40 and 4:25 p.m. should go directly to the Library and sign out their child(ren). A pass will be issued for you by the Library teacher to provide to the security guard at the booth.
The Lower School Main Office closes at 5:00 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays. If you are unable to pick up your child on time (4:45 p.m.) or meet your child at the White Plains late bus, please contact the Lower School Office at 914-948-3111 as soon as you know and before the office closes. The Lower School Main Office phone is switched to voicemail for the night at 5:00 p.m. and messages are not checked after hours.
After 5:00 p.m.
- You may call the Upper School 914-948-8333, option 6, regarding emergency situations. You will be directed to the emergency service line and a service representative will connect you with the Schechter Westchester administrator on call.
- White Plains late bus situations after 5:00 p.m.: If you are going to be late getting to your bus stop to meet your child from the late bus, you may try reaching the White Plains Bus Company Dispatch Office at 914-328-0284. This telephone number is used for emergency situations only. Please do not use this number for routine transportation questions.
Aftercare Program Participants - Reaching the School after 5:00 p.m.
- If you have enrolled a child in the aftercare program, please note this after-hours phone number: 914-281-3313. The supervising teacher will answer calls to this phone number after the switchboard closes at 5:00 p.m. until the last child has left the campus. This telephone number should only be used if you are unable to pick up your child by the designated time.